Tuesday, 17 April 2007

The Vista Nightmare

I purchased a new Computer in November 2006. When I bought it, it had a free upgrade voucher to Vista.

So I paid £14.00 for shipping and handling to get my upgrade DVD pack which included an upgrade by the PC Manufacturer and The Vista Disc.

Now I'm no slouch at installing OS systems and in my time I have installed DOS, Windows 3.11, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows XP, XP SP1 and XP SP2. So you would think it would be easy to install Vista...

No. After 12 hours and numerous Blue Screens of Death (BSOD) I am defeated. The problem started with sptd.sys error. After booting up with a Linux CD I checked the web and found this is a problem driver. So I managed to get to a command prompt and rename the file.

I then managed to get to another BSOD with the error of Page Fault In Non Paged Area. I googled this and it is one of 2 possible problems that no one appears to have solved (1) Faulty Memory (2) Video driver problems. Other people with this error can't install Vista either.

So I have now rolled back to Windows XP SP2 and all is fine and dandy again. I just pity the people that spend hundreds of pounds to get the upgrade kit.

My tip of the week is if you want Vista - by a new machine with it on. Otherwise stick to XP as it works!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I won a laptop in a raffle.

The laptop was donated by Dell, and it was raffled by Microsoft who fitted it out with Vita Ultimate.

When I got it couldn't connect straight onto the wireless router. Instead I had to check with a Linux Live that the kit was OK and that it was a driver problem.

My main machine is XP2, I'll stick to that or Linux