Sunday, 17 August 2014

Freewargamesrules - The Next Generation

When I started this site back in 1997 there were very few wargames sites, Google did not exists and there were no blogs where people could share whatever they wanted instantly. BAck in '97 I made it my mission to catalogue and collate all the available free wargames rules on the Internet.

Back in those days as there was so little new content being added it didn't take much time to add content. In 1997 only 1.7% (70,000,000) of the Worlds population had internet access fast forward to 2014 and it is now 40.7% (2,937,000,000 users).

After 17 years of trying to keep up and having recently retired from a 30 year Government job I have lost the enthusiasm to continue as I have. I have gone from daily updates to weekly updates then to monthly updates and I am struggling to catch up.

Many people have offered to kindly take this site on, but without knowing them or their commitment longterm I cannot guarantee that in another 5, 10 or 20 years all the hard work is lost for ever.

I am aware what a valuable resource it is and am unwilling for it to die a slow and painful death.

I have seen the power of social media and collective collaboration, therefore, I have a radical proposal to ensure the continuation of resource:

I propose that we have a "wikipedia style" resource of Free Wargames Rules where the whole community maintains it, adds new content, amends incorrect data and removes obsolete information. I will continue as overall Administrator.

This way everyone  can contribute and the resource survives. This is a mammoth task to convert this data to a wiki and it will need a great deal of work. I do not want to start this if there is support across the community so please comment below or send me an email at: freewargamesrules@gmail.com

5 comments:

Kaptain Kobold said...

I have a couple of sets on the site, so feel honour-bound to help if I can.

tim said...

I would be interested in helping. A wiki is a fine idea, but still needs someone to be the administrator.

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

A great idea for a way to continue your work. I would also be willing to help.

Shaun Travers said...

I think this is a great idea. I do not gets lots of time at the moment as real life - as of a few months ago - conspired to curtailed most of the free time I spent on the hobby. But I would like to help where I can. So while I can not do much, I would like to help out a bit.

Wargame Shop said...

I suggest you spend what time you have Peter looking for a web designer to set the framework up and then let the community repopulate it with their latest FREE rules. This way you will only get active links to sites and not broken links. Or it might also be a good idea to have a separate storage area for the free rules so that the rules can be archived here. If then the original rules site stops the rules will always be availible to the Wargaming community.